FOLLOW ON TWITTER

Thursday 5 November 2015

Dropping my beautiful LML NV 150 Star 2 scooter

How much bad luck can one have.  If I didn't have bad luck, I would have no luck at all.  After owning my scooter for two full days (since it was registered and road worthy), and only having ridden it for two days, on my third day on a wet and greasy road 1km from work (after having ridden 8km already), I lost the front of the scooter going straight.  I must have hit an arrow line marking as I approached the the traffic lights.

Lucky I had washed off the speed as I did not have a motorcycle jacket, pants or a boot on my right toe (due to frostbite I cannot wear shoe on the right foot).

I landed on my right side and hit my right heel on the ground.  The helmet had a very light touch on the ground on the visor (scratched visor but no damage to helmet).  My goretex jacket and nylon waterproof pants were surprisingly unmarked and the body underneath was not injured.  The 'lucky' part was I did not hurt the frostbitten toe even though I landed on the right side.

Sadly the scooter sustained damage:
1) Handlebar twisted and not aligned to front wheel.  Hope there is no steering column damage.

2) Front fender edge scratched and slightly warped/bent.


3) Aluminium trimming partly torn off but no paint damage.


4) Right throttle grip slightly scratched.  Not worth replacing.
5) The previously lightly scratched rear cowl engine cover has now been properly scratched this time, but not dented.


I've left the scooter at work and will now to get it repaired.
-#1, #2 and #3 will have to be assessed for cost.  #1 hopefully is cheap to repair if only alignment is required (few bolts).  If steering column damaged then that will hurt more financially.  #2 may be cheap if I bend the fender metal and roughly align.  I can live with it not being perfect as it is an 'classic' scoot...gives it character?  #3 should be cheap to repair as the underlying metal base was not bent or damaged, just replace the aluminium strip.
-#5 would cost heaps to properly repair but a cheaper buff and paint would cost much less and fall within my budget.

The scooter is now going to be a dry weather commuter.  It loses it too quickly in the wet.  The last time I rode a motorcycle in 2006-7 I never dropped the bike even in wet weather.  This is the first time I have dropped a bike.  Unlikely to be my last (that is why I am not getting the scooter repaired pristinely).

Now, to buy some motorcycle protective gear in preparation for when I can ride the scooter again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.