FOLLOW ON TWITTER

Thursday 15 October 2015

Tent sailing away

For those who saw my tweet of 27 September 2015 at C2 from Manaslu, you may be wondering what this was all about.

Well, I was sleeping at C2 by myself and it was a very blustery night. The gusts were vicious all night long. I think I was the only person in C2 that night.

I was sleeping in the Amical TNF 3P tent (thanks Dominic for letting me/Dawa stay there) and looking after the tent…lucky I was there (read further along). It was a poor sleep due to the wind that would be severely pressing onto the poles. Lucky Amical staff knew how to pitch a tent up properly staking out the guy lines. The guy lines are critical in windy conditions and they were taut lines.

Well, many other sherpas are not as good at pitching tents as Amical…yes Seven Summit Treks (SST) – I’m point you guys out. At approx. 2:00am in the morning the Amical tent ‘felt’ strange and I could see a shadow on the outside of the tent (towards the back door). It felt like the tent was being pulled from the mountain! I could hear some fluttering. I then unzipped the rear tent door and peeked outside, to then have an external tent hit me in the face! I peered left and saw that another 3person Yak Mountain tent (from SST) had been entangled with the Amical tent that I was in. The pole of the other tent had pierced the Amical fly at the top and the guy lines were tangled, which stopped the SST tent from being blown away.

I immediately grabbed the still-erected/’pitched’ tent that was acting like a huge sail on top of the Amical tent. I waited for the gusts to settle down (a lull) and quickly threw on my boots and down jacket…I was sleeping in my Gore-Tex bib pants so it was pretty quick to get out. It was still windy and I separated the SST tent from the Amical tent…but I could not untangle the guy lines. I used my ice axe and staked the SST tent down in the heavy wind conditions. This was the best I could do in the conditions. There was a lot of profanity as all this was being done.

When morning came, I heard a Sherpa coming towards the Amical tent. He pointed out the SST tent. Apparently the SST tent had broken free of the ice axe and was pulling on the Amical tent. The winds had died down, but still present. I then had to go back out and separate the SST inner with its flysheet, unpitch/dismantle the SST tent by removing its poles and then lay everything flat and stake them to stop them from flying away. The SST flysheet had its guy lines still entangled but I would leave that for the SST team to deal with when they arrived into C2 later that day.

There was no damage to the SST tent but the Amical tent had been pierced. I used some Leukotape to try to patch the Amical piercing but it will not hold for long.

Summation:
1) Sherpas need to learn to pitch tents better. Guy lines are critical to tent stabilisation in windy conditions and they need to be taut (static strength). The more you stake out a tent the stronger it will be.
2) I had to save the SST tent as they had clients coming up that day. If I did not, they would have been severely impacted with not enough tents at that time for the arriving team. You owe me one SST!
3) Amical was lucky I was sleeping in their tent…as the SST tent that was acting as a big sail would have pulled both tents off the mountain during that gusty night. We are even as you let me use your tent ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.