FOLLOW ON TWITTER

Monday 16 March 2015

Keeping entertained on the mountain and how to keep powered up?

OK, I am a popish music fan, and proud of it!  Robert Palmer, Shania Twain, Taylor Swift, Pink, Katy Perry, The Corrs and most music from the 80s’ and 90s’.  This will really test the boundaries of good taste :-) ...but seriously, I have great taste in music, even if I do say so myself :-D.  No ‘fan boy’ mentality here, just like popish music.  This will help with dealing with boredom.
I have to say that mountaineering is a surprisingly boring affair.  There is a lot of time to fill-in and the scenery doesn't change too much or that quickly.  You cannot take too many electronic devices because you are always hampered by the lack of power supply.  Solar power panel sheets and batteries are your best friend.  You have to always make sure your critical devices are charged/powered (ie. Sat phone, HAM radio, Head torch/light, Camera) and then what you have left will be for entertainment (mobile phone, GPS watch).  We live in a modern age and the reality is that we all need to move with the times.  It is tough enough being away from the internet for even a day!...but luckily there will be internet at Everest Base Camp (BC).  I am saved :-).
I use a Power Traveller Power Monkey Extreme solar charger and a large 24W solar panel flexible sheet to hopefully charge up my devices when I am out there.  When you are dealing with solar charging it is always good to have something between the device and the panel as voltage fluctuations can cause damage to the device.  The Power Monkey has a battery that provides separation voltage protection to my devices (I never plug my devices directly into a solar panel).
All this electronics adds unnecessary weight but life is no fun without it.  Yes, you can be a ‘hermit’ and do nothing for 2mths on the trail to find your ‘inner peace’, but I am not that kind of person.  I need to be entertained.  It may be good to buy a book (no power required), maybe a lightweight text book, to learn something new during these 2mths...what should I learn?  I am already a certified massage therapist, maybe I should finish off the remediation massage component, but too many heavy books to carry :-( .  A first world problem indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.